11 July 2010

TIMER

     As anyone who follows this blog knows, I'm a huge fan of romantic comedies. Last night I watched one called "Timer," which my friend Jo recommended to me. It was really good, with an interesting plot and good set of characters and actors. The main theme of the movie was that everyone could get a timer on their wrist, which would countdown to the day they met their one true love. If your timer was blank, it meant your true love didn't have a timer. 

     I've been thinking about the timer idea since yesterday night, when I watched the film, and the more I think about it, the more vehemently I disbelieve it (or want to, anyway). If I had the chance to get a timer, I'd refuse. Sure, it would be convenient and relieving to know that I have a true love out there, to even know exactly when we're going to meet. But don't you think that would be a little boring? I think half the excitement of true love would be feeling that jolt when stumbling upon it. I think half the point of love is believing that it's true without having to be told. How can there be mystery or unbridled passion if you're told how long you have to wait till you find your "one"?

    Of course, all of this operates on the premise that there is a "one," and if we disprove the premise, we disprove the idea of the timer (thank you, ConLaw). I haven't decided if I think there's a "one" or not. I guess only time will tell. What does anyone else think about it?

1 comment:

the walking man said...

Hi Chris.

Glad to see you back blogging after your school year ended. You have been re-linked. I went through a sort of hiatus myself. stopped taking comments and writing every day.

I have a favor to ask you because I think you might be objective enough to be honest. Would you "test" read a manuscript for me? It is a geared to a YA romance audience. If you're not interested that is cool too. if you are hit the email listed on my sidebar.

I think in every case we meet our true love almost as soon as we stop looking.